Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:05:31 +0100 (BST)

> I would treat the text area as a link.  If I want to edit the content,
> just press enter will 'zoom in' to the text and allow me to edit
> internally (or externally, if possible).  To exit, just press ^G (or ^C,
> but not recommended) will return to the normal view.

Firstly this would make the page difficult to use for simple cases, and
probably for the actual case that triggered this.

But primarily the problem here is that you are looking at things from
a user interface point of view not an implementation point of view.  Often
a simple change in the user interface can only be done cleanly by rewriting
large amounts of the software, or at the expense of lots of messy special
case coding.  In this case you are asking that part of a form shouldn't
actually be on the same page as the rest of it.

You are going to get much more sympathy for your proposals if you propose
them on a white box basis, i.e. you look inside the code and propose how
it could be restructured minimally and portably to achieve your desired
effect.