Re: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0498/msg00410.html Lynx & Wi

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0498/msg00410.html Lynx & Wind
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:09:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> The CURRENT DJGPP version of Lynx should run just fine in a DOS386 virtual
> machine (called a "Windows DOS box" by plebeans).
>
> > If you have Windows 3.1, you have DOS and can run lynx after
> > exiting from Windows.
>
> It is not necessary to exit DOS386/Windows. You can establish the network
> connection, then start DOS386/Windows, and run Lynx in a VM. (Just don't run a
> WINSOCK that grabs the packet driver for itself.)

As far as I know, no one has ever gotten this to work. If you have tried
this and were successful, please post to the list how you did this. The
DOS port of lynx is dependent on packet drivers which don't function
properly in a DOS box. I have not been able to get any of the
workarounds to function properly with lynx. Which packet drivers and
shims with which ppp or slip program actually yield a functioning lynx
in a DOS box under Windows 3.x?
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman