Re: lynx-dev http://www.netgrocer.com

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev http://www.netgrocer.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 11:01:00 +0100 (BST)

> as for Javascript, Lynx developers are aware
> that it is presenting obstacles more frequently
> & that Lynx may need to be expanded to handle it,
> but so far no-one has undertaken the job (i believe).

Whose Javascript?  ECMA Script contains no browser object model.  The
Netscape model is based on things like layers which don't exist in the
standard or IE.  IE's object model has lots of short cuts which are not
in NS, although it largely seems to treat NS as a subset, but I'm still
in the early stages of learning.

All of these require one to map the Lynx object model onto one of the big
2 object models, although maybe some of the simpler things, as may have
been done in this case, are fairly generic (although the most likely one,
assigning to parent.frame.location.href behaves differently between IE3
and IE4, and would require Lynx to model the frame tree even when not
on the frameset page).

> to lynx-devers: what is the current consensus on Javascript?
                                      ?????????