Re: lynx-dev http://www.netgrocer.com

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev http://www.netgrocer.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:22:38 +2000 (EDT)

980731 Dana Geibel wrote:
> i can't seem to get on  www.netgrocer.com/ !

the reason is that it relies entirely on Javascript.

> i use lynx 2.7.1 & 2.7.2: is lynx 2.8 any better for this site?
> if not is there any plan for us to get on this site in the future?

no & no: there are reasons to upgrade to 2-8,
tho' probably you could wait till 2-8-1 is released (soonish).

as for Javascript, Lynx developers are aware
that it is presenting obstacles more frequently
& that Lynx may need to be expanded to handle it,
but so far no-one has undertaken the job (i believe).

> i am blind would like to be able to access this site to buy groceries!

if you're in the USA, you probably have a good legal case under ADA
(Americans with Disabilities Act); you certainly have our sympathy.
you should contact Netgrocer's site manager & tell him/her your problem;
there is no reason why they should make their site so text-unfriendly:
they could perfectly well have text alternatives to their JS documents
(in case it comes up, Lynx DOES handle frames: that's not the problem).
if you do get through to them, do let us know the result:
we'ld like to help if we can.

generally, you can find help on Lynx & blind Internet users
if you go to  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html :
there's a section there with some links to sources of advice.

to lynx-devers: what is the current consensus on Javascript?