Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:08:39 +0900 (JST)

> >> I think it's about time to release 2.8.1
>
> eg partial display (BTW is that working properly now)?

"is that working" suggests to me, "Whoa, what's the rush!"
(But then I just compiled Lynx for the first time in three
months.  NTL, I think there has been quite a bit of code
added that needs much more rigorous exercising than it has
gotten.)

For example, I still think:
     #else   /* Unix */
             /* this is done via the configure script */
in userdefs.h is misleading.  On my system, configure does not
find zip or unzip, and uses an outdated gzip.  Would like to
see something like:
             /* Standard locations are defined via the configure
              * script.  When helper applications are in your home
              * directory or other nonstandard locations, you probably
              * will have to preset the path to them with environment
              * variables (see INSTALLATION, Section II-1d).
              */

I'm getting the following compile error on SunOS4.1.3; no problem?
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/home/2home/themansa/.usr/include   -I../../..  -I../../..
/src  -I../../..  -I../../../src  -I../../../WWW/Library/Implementation -O2 -DSU
N -DSUN4   -I../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/ -DXMOSAIC_HACK -DACCESS_AUTH -
c ../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c
../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c: In function `HTEditable':
../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c:1097: warning: passing arg 2 of `ge
tgroups' from incompatible pointer type

After I do "make install", I get the following warning; why?
ews% make install
make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target /home/2home/themansa/.lynx

What is the status on the forms-based option menu?  Is that
still in the experimental stage?  How do I turn it on?  All
those files created by all those users worries me, or am I
misinterpreting what's being done.

> whether sysadmins wait for the 2nd number to advance before updating.

This quasi-pseudo sysadmin waits for the concrete to harden,
and tries to check that the refor bar is up to code.  Don't
pay a lot of attention to numbers.  Won't be updating a general-
use Lynx, anyway, until I hear an okay from Bela.

__Henry