lynx-dev LYNX: SINGLE-hyphen vs EM-dash vs "&151"?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: SINGLE-hyphen vs EM-dash vs "&151"?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:19:49 -0800 (PST)

At this addr, with this html:

http://www.motherjones.com/news_wire/parrish3.html
address@hidden

their political will—not to be confused with justice—is done.
Unfortunately

, it comes out as "political will-not to be confused with justice-is done".

Whose fault?  Theirs (choosing 151) or lynx's (displaying it)?

Of course, it SHOULD display (with proper english style) as
"--" in lynx (preferably with surrounding spaces, making it easier
to read in ascii-output).

Problem is, I don't know what a 151 is.

----

Second subject, related:

Whatever the right html is for an EM-dash (super-long hyphen), which
IMHO such sentence structure SHOULD be using OR displayed-in (again,
not knowing whose "fault" it is), a question is how to display
it in ASCII, with of course non-proportional width characters.

Which looks better in this ASCII output:

1:  political will--not to be confused with justice--is done ...

2:  political will -- not to be confused with justice -- is done ...

The important word above is ASCII.  Were this TYPESET via a
whitespace, but it (usually) ISN'T NEEDED, since the visual
effect somehow works ok.

But in ASCII output, "will--not" just plain looks too pushed-together.

I assume you will agree.   :-)    :-(     :-)

THUS -- I suggest that lynx DWIM ("do what I mean") for this
ASCII output; when lynx sees the html-code for em-dash, it
ensure that it is surrounded by whitespace (ie, by ensure I mean
if not already there, it add it).

Comments?