Re: lynx-dev priorities (was 2.8rel.2)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev priorities (was 2.8rel.2)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:11:45 +0900 (JST)

> the distributed code as it is - I regard HTUnEscape() as a very low-
> level function that can be used in all kinds of places, and in some
> of those places unescaping control characters is legitimate.
>
> For example Unix filenames can have arbitrary characters.  Using such

Well, I can't thank you enough.  I just don't have anywhere the basic
knowledge required to foresee errors that could pop up down the road.
Your analysis REALLY helps.

> For your purpose I can't see how your change does any harm.  But if

Yes.  Mostly I leave it in there to protect _myself_ from entering
something I don't want to.  (Always am pressing the control key when I
intend the shift key.)

> kind of intrusion or whatever) and without this change you are not
> protected, you should report it - It means something needs to be fixed

Sorry for leaving you in the dark on this one.  Tom revised and incorporated
the fix.  AFAIK, it only involved mailto: URLs.  See the following entry in
CHANGES.

1998-09-06 (2.8.1dev.25)
[...]
* limit strings passed to mailer in LYMail.c to 7-bit ASCII, converting other
  characters to '?'.  This guards against trash on the end of the mailing
  address in a mailto link (from Duncan Simpson <address@hidden>).

__Henry