Re: lynx-dev Re: Archive request

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Archive request
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 06:34:52 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 01:37:23PM -0800, Richard Schedler wrote:
> > There's a complete mirror of ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/ in
> > ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/net/infosys/lynx/.
> >     --Richard
>
> We now have a great site to download from. I appreciate the voluntary
> cooperation by Digital/Compaq staff on behalf of the Lynx developers.

Nice.

I notice they are mirroring also the breakout files from several releases.
That's nice for quick direct access to check some older source, but it's a
bit of a waste of space (other mirrors may not want to do that).
Well if those breakout files are there, it would be even nicer if the
devel code breakout also was...

> Comments on improving the index.html in that tree are welcome (there are
> a bunch of broken links at the moment).

Below some changes to make at least all links point to an existing
location, even when accessed at the mirroring location (if they
mirror all that's under <ftp://sol.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/>).  I simply
changed all links to stuff not in the ftp tree to point to the
location at <http://sol.slcc.edu/>.

I don't know how much sense this file makes in an ftp mirror.

"Lynx Book" hasn't been updated in a long time; "The Lynx FAQ" is
very old; "Lynx Search" doesn't seem to work.  Might be best to
get rid of the last two links for the ftp-mirrored file at least.

*** /tmp/index.html     Sat Jan 30 06:18:15 1999
--- /home/lynxdev/index.html    Sat Jan 30 06:18:32 1999
***************
*** 1,13 ****
  <HTML>
  <HEAD>
! <TITLE>SLCC Lynx Pages</TITLE>
  <LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:address@hidden";>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY BACKGROUND="Backgrounds/marb18.jpg">

  <H1 ALIGN="center">
! SLCC Lynx Pages
  </H1>

  <P>
--- 1,13 ----
  <HTML>
  <HEAD>
! <TITLE>SLCC and FTP Lynx Pages</TITLE>
  <LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:address@hidden";>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY BACKGROUND="Backgrounds/marb18.jpg">

  <H1 ALIGN="center">
! SLCC and FTP Lynx Pages
  </H1>

  <P>
***************
*** 16,52 ****
  </P>

  <DL>
! <DT><A HREF="/release/">Release</A></DT>
  <DD>This page present the latest release or prerelease of the Lynx code. Go
here to find the most recent released version of the code.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/webguide/lynxit.html">Lynxit</A></DT>
  <DD>This page allows you to see how Lynx will display a page. Especially
       usefull for those who are coding pages, and wish to make them accessible
       to Lynx users, but who don't have Lynx themselves. Also usefull for
       seeing how other versions of Lynx display a
       page.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx2-5/">lynx 2-5 docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="/lynx2-6/">lynx 2-6 docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="/lynx2-7/">lynx 2-7 docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="/lynx2-7-1/">lynx 2-7-1 docs</A>
      </DT>
! <DD>These are sets of documentation from the corresponding Lynx releases. Each
!      is the official release documentation (without updates) as it was
!      installed on this system.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx-book.html">Lynx Book</A></DT>
  <DD>This page is provided to thank Foteos Macrides, and others who have
       contributed to the development of Lynx. Please stop by and add your own
!      words of thanks if you find Lynx to be  a u sefull tool.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx/faq.html">The Lynx FAQ</A></DT>
  <DD>The Lynx FAQ is an combined effort among several people to help develop a
       usefull <B>F</B>requently <B>A</B>sked <B>Q</B>uestions list. Check it
       out if you have questions, and please contribute if you have answers to
       these or other FAQ's</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="solaris/">Solaris Lynx binaries</A></DT>
  <DD>This location provides selected prebuilt versions of lynx, as built on
       SLCC for the use of those who cannot build it themselves. This is
       provided as a public service, and such versions are provided &quot;as
       is&quot;, without any warantee of any sort.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx/fote/">Fote Pages</A></DT>
  <DD>Foteos Macrides has been <B>the</B> major contributer to Lynx develpment
       since it was discontinued by the University of Kansas, and has also been
       the project coordinator for all other Lynx development during this period

! <DT><A HREF="http://sol.slcc.edu/webguide/lynxit.html";>Lynxit</A></DT>
  <DD>This page allows you to see how Lynx will display a page. Especially
       usefull for those who are coding pages, and wish to make them accessible
       to Lynx users, but who don't have Lynx themselves. Also usefull for
       seeing how other versions of Lynx display a
       page.</DD>
! <DT>
!     <A HREF="release2-7-2/lynx2-7-2/lynx_help/">lynx 2-7-2&nbsp;docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="release2-8/lynx2-8/lynx_help/">lynx 2-8&nbsp;docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="release2-8-1/lynx2-8-1/lynx_help/">lynx 2-8-1&nbsp;docs</A>,
!     <A HREF="http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/lynx2-8-2/lynx_help/";>
!     lynx&nbsp;2-8-2.dev&nbsp;(experimental)&nbsp;docs</A>
      </DT>
! <DD>These are sets of documentation from the corresponding Lynx releases.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx-book.html";>Lynx Book</A></DT>
! <DT><A HREF="http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/faq.html";>The Lynx FAQ</A></DT>
! <DT><A HREF="http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/solaris/";>Solaris Lynx binaries</A></DT>
  <DD>This location provides selected prebuilt versions of lynx, as built on
       SLCC for the use of those who cannot build it themselves. This is
       provided as a public service, and such versions are provided &quot;as
       is&quot;, without any warantee of any sort.</DD>
! <DT><A HREF="fote/">Fote Pages</A></DT>
  <DD>Foteos Macrides has been <B>the</B> major contributer to Lynx develpment
       since it was discontinued by the University of Kansas, and has also been
       the project coordinator for all other Lynx development during this period
***************
*** 54,67 ****
       from new development of Lynx, but on these pages is the last release
       he worked on.
       </DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx/current/">Development Code</A></DT>
  <DD>Several contributors are collectively maintaining a repository
       for Lynx development code on this server, to simplify
       collaboration.  Changes to this code occur frequently as new
       functionality is added.
       </DD>
! <DT><A HREF="/lynx/lynx_search.html">Lynx Search</A></DT>
! <DD>Lynx Search is a query page for our site's <B>Excite for Web Servers</B>
       web search engine which will allow you to search through all the Lynx
       facilities online here, including the actual Lynx source code. It is
       usefull to users who need to look for how to use a particular Lynx
--- 54,67 ----
       from new development of Lynx, but on these pages is the last release
       he worked on.
       </DD>
! <DT><A HREF="current/">Development Code</A></DT>
  <DD>Several contributors are collectively maintaining a repository
       for Lynx development code on this server, to simplify
       collaboration.  Changes to this code occur frequently as new
       functionality is added.
       </DD>
! <DT><A HREF="http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/lynx_search.html";>Lynx Search</A></DT>
! <DD>Lynx Search is a query page for sol.slcc.edu's <B>Excite for Web
Servers</B>
       web search engine which will allow you to search through all the Lynx
       facilities online here, including the actual Lynx source code. It is
       usefull to users who need to look for how to use a particular Lynx
***************
*** 81,88 ****
  Copyright(c)  1999, Lynx-Dev.
  <BR>