Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:42:22 +0900 (JST)

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:
> >concerned about Lynx.  People who care about Lynx don't lie about what
> >browser they are using.  They use Lynx with pride, and are not intimidated.
>
> Sorry for bringing this even further off topic since this list should
> be about *developing* lynx, but you are being presumptuous trying to put
> words into the mouths of people who use Lynx.

I saw the following in the original post:
"User-Agent header (!)            : [26]Mozilla/4.02",
and from it assumed that nowhere was Lynx mentioned.  That IS a false
pretension, is every much as bad as a site that forces use of the big
two by not recognizing a valid agent string, and IMO hurts the Lynx
development effort.

> "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; really Lynx)" is the useragent I use in
Well, you are attempting to be honest, and I was not directing my rather
strong words to you.  However, if a site does not accept something like
    "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; U; Lynx/2.8.4dev.8; NetBSD 1.4.2),"
i.e., with no mention of MSIE, then I would urge you to make every effort
to not use that site or company.  Change banks or stock broker if you have
to, and tell the manager why you left them.  The use of "MSIE" as a synonym
for encryption or security at a certain level really should not be tolerated.

__Henry