lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled with ncursesw

From: Atsuhito KOHDA
Subject: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled with ncursesw
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:49:55 +0900 (JST)

Hi all,

I have maintained lynx-cur for Debian and got a report
that there was a problem of Japanese characters with
lynx-cur since I changed configure option from
--with-screen=ncurses
--with-screen=ncursesw

The problem is very difficult to explain in English
but, for example, when you visit
http://w1.avis.ne.jp/~nabetaro/text/
and select 「模型遍歴」 then you would see a line something
like 「お菓子のお け時代」 which should be 「お菓子のおまけ時代」

That is, one letter was lost in this case.  It is, however,
easy to recover the correct page, you only need to push "r"
key, for example.

It seemed the problem occured generally and not specific
to the above URL but it is so tiny difference so one could
overlooked the problem in many cases, I guess.

System info;
Debian unstable
lynx-cur 2.8.5pre.5
libncursesw5   5.3.20030719-5
gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 20040125 (prerelease) (Debian)
libc6          2.3.2.ds1-11

Thanks in advance,              2004-2-12(Thu)

 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima