Re: [Lynx-dev] [A]lways [O]ptions

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] [A]lways [O]ptions
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:47:59 -0800 (PST)

--- Stef Caunter <address@hidden> wrote:

   [...]

> I am assuming that most knowledgeable lynx users have configs
> they like that deal with these setup issues adequately.
>
> Notwithstanding, in userdefs.h:
>
> ALERTSECS is too long at 3 seconds. For a new user, I suggest
> that the displayed messages will not mean a lot anyway. Same
> for MESSAGESECS. Zero them all, and let the page load.

   [...]

IMO, there's some discoverability issues involved.  Also, not
needing to guide the naive user through turning on the messages
might occasionally simplify diagnosis and treatment, I'd think.

How about making the delays depend on the novice/ intermediate/
advanced status-line setting?  Is that do-able?  Based strictly
on my own biases, anybody wanting zero message delays is also
going to want all available screen real estate, and go with
"advanced".

So my suggestion, assuming do-ability, is to default lynx to
"novice", default novice to readable delays, adjust default
delays at the higher user levels, and maintain current
tweak-ability via the config file route.

UI in the options page might be controversial--one's convenient
one-stop flexibility is another's cluttered mess.  I dunno.

--
Mike