[Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: [Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 20:51:26 +0200

Hello.

I was forced to use lynx via SOCKS5 proxy, which i never did
before.  To my surprise that did not work, it needs an additional
library.  That increased the surprise, because all one needs for
SOCKS5 support, even including the DNS lookup, is to hook
connect(2) -- that is how i did it, as easy as [1].  And in fact
i became inspired by Gaetan Bisson's usocks-06.c, which can be
used via $LD_PRELOAD, and which got me going.  I will attach it.

Wouldn't it be much nicer if there would be a -socks=[HOST]:PORT
command line argument and a simple, always compiled in, wrapper
around connect, just the way i do it (in [1])?
Just in case i find time and the mentioned way seems interesting,
is there somewhere the current development code can be loaded
from?

  [1] https://git.sdaoden.eu/cgit/s-nail.git/tree/src/mx/net-socket.c#n485

Thanks in advance, ciao, and a nice Sunday i wish from cold and
grey Germany,

--steffen