Re: [Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ..on SOCKS5 support
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 05:23:29 -0400

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 03:43:59PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote in <20190908105750.qc3ut2e3rkrswfm4@prl-debianold-64\
> .jexium-island.net>:
>  |The interim labels (no upload-foo, etc) are to verify fixes for bug \
>  |reports.
>  |I marked the "real release" steps with "*", above.  Counting all of the
>  |steps, I have a few hundred "foo" scripts (perhaps I should write a script
>  |to count them).
>
> That leaves me speechless.

I've mentioned some of it here

https://invisible-island.net/scripts/readme.html#build_framework
https://invisible-island.net/personal/lint-tools.html

As I recall it, up until about 2005 I just did configure/make/install,
to spot-check things, but the packagers kept pointing out that I missed
things (either in builds or website maintenance), and I started adding
scripts to do more systematic builds, and assist in the website maintenance.
Starting in 2010, I switched to developing mostly in virtual machines,
which (though some rpm scripts were older) led to most of the package-scripts.
Then in 2015, I started doing the routine export-to-git, which led to
doing more systematic labeling of snapshots.

Still, with several steps, I occasionally overlook one (or find
that a script doesn't do what I meant).

> Yes, i have no idea of Windows at all.  (Except having had the
> Cygwin source code to have a look sometimes, to not end in total
> dead ends shall i ever port to it.)

I've a few machines with cygwin, mingw and msys2, and use the no-cost
visual studio versions, and collect logfiles.  Aside from the X11 stuff
such as xterm, other programs "should" build/work with Windows console.

Not everything gets built at once, and some are old,
but I've a large number of those for reference (another
opportunity for counting/reporting, here).

I made a to-do item for the script
(since a nice table would improve the webpage),
for later, sometime.

>  |If you have something that works reasonably well on one of the BSDs,
>  |making it more portable (adding configure checks, command-line options,
>  |etc.) is fairly routine.
>
> That is BSD socket code + read(2) + write(2).
> I will throw an eye as soon as possible, and report back then, ok?

sounds good

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net