Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 20:11:50 +0100

Tim Chase wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |On 2019-11-08 19:08, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Karen Lewellen wrote in
 |> <Pine.LNX.4.64.1911081152100.28917@server2.shell\ world.net>:
 |>|Alejandro,
 |>|I would appreciate a step by step, including where on the page
 |> the option |for   first choosing then saving basic html as  an
 |> option is located. |My test drive did not work last night, but I
 |> As far as i see the option is gone.
 |> The only chance you have is to be very quick at the login screen,
 |> right after you have entered the password, while it loads, there
 |> is the necessary link at the bottom of the page.  (I.e., first
 |> screen to enter the name, second screen to enter the password,
 |> then the third can shortly be seen -- maybe tell your helper to
 |> very quickly hit the stop-load button, and i hope your browser
 |> does that, then, instead of continuing the asynchronous load.)
 |>
 |> Funnily the basic HTML always offers the possibility to switch to
 |> the other one.  Also funnily, only the rich version allows marking
 |> all messages on the screen, so as to move them to trash.  (I just
 |> cleared my GMail history.)

 |At least according to Google's support page
 |
 |https://support.google.com/mail/answer/15049?hl=en
 |
 |you should be able to go to this link
 |
 |https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1pq68r75kzvdr/?v%3Dlui
 |
 |to force the HTML/low-bandwidth mode (hopefully a little easier than
 |trying to intercept the refresh).  I'm not sure if you have to use
 |the JS-only login path or if there's a non-JavaScript HTML-only login
 |option though.

If i follow that link in logged-out state i come to a wonderful
page that looks as if Apple had designed it.  (Note i use two
different accounts for web browsing, one throw-away thing with
a user who has no rights at all, unfortunately i still not made it
to put this account into a lxc container, or even a VM, even
though accelerated graphics now work even inside those it seems!
And another one which knows user credentials, for example for the
GMail account(s).  Since i log into the latter via ssh, and have
to unlock an encrypted volume in order to get firefox --
unfortunately i do need Javascript for these, ISP, VM hoster,
GMail, whatever, sigh -- up with access to its data, i have to
cross some hurdles of pain.  I tried the link with the
unpriviledged user.)

--steffen