Re: [Lynx-dev] rendering — (0x97)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] rendering — (0x97)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:31:53 +0100

On 28/06/2020 17:03, russellbell@gmail.com wrote:
I encountered this in
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/26/obituaries/george-plimpton-urbane-and-witty-writer-dies-at-76.html
        lynx un-rendered it.  I use def7_uni.tbl .  lynx renders it in
some other tables.  I added an entry to mine.

That character is C1 Controls: END OF GUARDED AREA. There is no Unicode graphic associated with it and it is not one of the few control characters that have any significance in Unicode.

Firefox on Debian also faults it: 'adventures — as "professional" athlete, stand-up comedian, movie bad guy or circus performer —'. It is probably a Microsoft code page character, but the page charset is UTF8, not a Microsoft code page. Actually, I have been unable to find any common code page where that codepoint represents a character that would make sense in context.

This is a bug with the New York Times article.