Re: [Lynx-dev] rendering — (0x97)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] rendering — (0x97)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 23:28:36 +0100

On 28/06/2020 18:40, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

but in the meantime, the html5 crowd declared that iso-8859-1 is
identical to cp1252

WHAT‽

WHATWG!

Looking at the network traffic, on Firefox, I can see why they wouldn't like a non-WHATWG compliant browser. The page even seems to report back frequently as to whether you still have it open! It loads large number of resources which are not there for your benefit. You are completely breaking the real purpose of the page by trying to access just the editorial.

Firefox is reporting the & as &, even in the source as recovered from the developer tools, so I'm not certain what is going over the wire, but if they are sending — over the wire, rather than the a byte containing the value 151, the contents encoding wouldn't matter, as entities are interpreted in Unicode, unless WHATWG have also dictated that control characters be overlaid with CP 1252 characters in WHATWG "Unicode".

The fact that Debian Firefox doesn't play ball on this makes me think they either haven't done that, or only did it very recently.