Re: [Lynx-dev] Issue with lynx --source and gopher menus with h gopherty

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Issue with lynx --source and gopher menus with h gophertype
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 18:38:42 -0400

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 10:30:40PM -0400, Zachary Lee Andrews wrote:

> Greetings to all,
>
> I have noticed that lynx2.9.0dev.5 when converting a gopher menu to HTML
> (e.g. by using `lynx --source gopher://gopher.zcrayfish.soy/1/irc') when a
> gophertype h is encountered and an hyperlink/anchor is generated for said
> type h resource... If the directory delimiter used is the file path part of
> the URL is '/' (as-is typical for most machines these days),
> the first one will be omitted in the HTML output.

hmm - this is a little different from the report in

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2020-03/msg00000.html

The short answer is that lynx doesn't recognize the other characters
as being special.

We're talking about the chunk of code beginning here:

https://github.com/ThomasDickey/lynx-snapshots/blob/558af4865a2d668cfaaba88477df07d256c1a97c/WWW/Library/Implementation/HTGopher.c#L445

I'm reminded that the 'h' type isn't in

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1436

and recall that the existing documentation on this extension was sketchy.

We've discussed this a couple of times, e.g., here

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2019-08/msg00075.html
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2019-08/msg00082.html

...and the existing behavior worked with the test-cases I was shown.

I think that with some improvements to documentation, we could improve
the implementation (and possibly work with the different test-cases,
possibly not - they might have different assumptions embedded).