Re: [Lynx-dev] Issue with lynx --source and gopher menus with h gopherty

From: Zachary Lee Andrews
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Issue with lynx --source and gopher menus with h gophertype
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 16:47:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020, Thomas Dickey wrote:

The short answer is that lynx doesn't recognize the other characters
as being special.

We're talking about the chunk of code beginning here:

https://github.com/ThomasDickey/lynx-snapshots/blob/558af4865a2d668cfaaba88477df07d256c1a97c/WWW/Library/Implementation/HTGopher.c#L445

I solved all the issues I was having by removing lines 448 and 449..

After making the change, I created a new testcase to see how lynx handles gophermaps with regular HTML files, and weblinks using the old 'GET /'
method, the newer 'hURL:' method, and I even put some blatantly wrong
examples in there just to see how lynx behaves when encountering them. It
does great.

gopher://gopher.zcrayfish.soy/1/irc/lynxtest3

In my example, examples 4 and 6 are deliberately written incorrectly, and lynx actually does what I expect of the incorrectly written entries (neither method of gophermaps linking to external URLs should start with a forward slash)
All other examples are well formed and of course lynx does fine with them.

In short, I don't see how lynx' stripping the forward slash would help anyone, aside from folks who are making typos in the selector in their gophermaps.