Re: [Lynx-dev] Keystroke to search via search engine

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Keystroke to search via search engine
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 16:06:24 +0000

[resending, this time to the list rather than directly to the OP]
On 2022-09-06 08:41, Saniya Maheshwari wrote:

> only way to search using a search engine in Lynx, is to type out
>

> the URL of the search engine, let that page load, and then type
>

> in the search string in the search box. Is there already a simpler
>

> way to do this, that I have missed?

I usually do this with an alias or shell function to populate the

GET parameters, like

  $ goog() { lynx [2]https://google.com/search?q="$1"; ; }

  $ ddg() { lynx [3]https://duckduckgo.com/lite/?q="$1"; ; }

  $ bing() { lynx [4]https://www.bing.com/search?q="$1"; ; }

                                                             )

and then when I'm at the command-line, I can type

  $ goog "kittens and puppies"

                                                             )

to have lynx jump directly to those search results.  I'm not aware

                                                             )
of any functionality within lynx to use a hot-key, have it prompt

for GET-parameter data, and then populate a placeholder in a URL

(similar to Firefox keyword searches).

-tkc