Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx misrenders many *IN*valid xhtml5 pages on my site

From: Lennart Jablonka
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx misrenders many *IN*valid xhtml5 pages on my site
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:57:11 +0000

Quoth Thorsten Glaser:
Your file is well-formed XML, but neither valid for webbrowsers
(due to the omission of the space before “/>” self-closing tags)
nor actually valid for any XHTML DTD because you self-close tags
that MUST NOT be self-closed.

And here I thought that all of XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1, HTML5 XML syntax, and WHATWG HTML XML syntax defer parsing to the XML processor. And that the don’t-self-close-non-EMPTY-elements and the space-before-/> were nothing but XHTML 1.0 guidelines for compatibility with browsers not aware of XHTML, allowing the author to use the Media type text/html (not the case here) but not requiring him to abide by those guidelines.

So yeah, abiding by those guidelines will make your already conforming XHTML work with browsers not implementing XHTML, such as lynx.

Do you see it differently, Thorsten?  What did I get wrong?