Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx misrenders many *IN*valid xhtml5 pages on my site

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx misrenders many *IN*valid xhtml5 pages on my site
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 21:24:56 +0000 (UTC)

Lennart Jablonka dixit:

> as is the case for lynx

Nope: HTTP_ACCEPT='text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, text/css, */*;q=0.01'

> Also, I’m under the impression that content
> negotiation à la Accept is entirely optional—the server is free to ignore

Yes, but then it MUST send HTML-compatible things or it’s not
an XHTML page. As simple as that. (I also serve my XHTML as
text/html always and just write it in compatible mode.)

>> I’m not sure whether it may then also self-close all tags but would
>> assume so (except I know tech is… tricky).

> the server may then “self-close” all empty elements.

That’s what made me say I’d assume so, but I know tech, which is
why I hesitate.

> It might be smart to do, but is not a requirement, is it?  A server sending an
> XHTML document as application/xhtml+xml, not in any way stating that it is
> valid HTML syntax, need not restrict the XML syntax, does it?

Such a server would not serve a standard-conformant XHTML webpage.

>> tl;dr it’s a mess…
>
> It for sure is.

aye,
//mirabilos