m4-discuss

Re: EBCDIC support?

From: Jack Woehr
Subject: Re: EBCDIC support?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:41:55 -0600

Eric Blake wrote:
The only exceptions I know of is that using a
range operator (such as 'a-z' as the second or third argument to translit,
or '[a-z]' as the regular expression in regexp or patsubst) will probably
work incorrectly, since those are not contiguous bytes in EBCDIC; spell
out the range yourself. A few of the tests in the testsuite will probably
fail because they assume ASCII or Latin-1 encoding.
Thank you for your help.
I don't have access to an EBCDIC system (and these days, they are quite
rare), but if you encounter any bugs, feel free to report them.
They're more common than one might think. The popular IBM AS/400 (oops,
nowadays "iSeries") is EBCDIC as are the IBM z/VM and z/OS operating
systems. A question about porting Open Object Rexx (http://www.oorexx.org/)
to z/OS sent this here GNU-ist scurrying to you for answers!

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"