m4-discuss

Re: Process only sections of a file? (newbie)

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Process only sections of a file? (newbie)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:15:50 -0600

On 09/20/2010 07:20 AM, Gary wrote:
I just followed the instructions at http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/ to
get the source via cvs. I got the response "cvs checkout: warning:
unrecognized response `fatal: Invalid revision range
46a02bda6d4472e440345498c909609c305b8888..HEAD' from cvs
server".

What's wrong with using git instead, since that is the preferred repository? It's been ages since I've tried the CVS mirror, so I'm not entirely surprised if it is not working any more, although it might be nice to figure out why.

Anyway, then I got loads of files as expected. Not sure how to build
from them, I looked at the README and saw "See file `INSTALL' for
compilation and installation instructions." Hokay. Hmm. Where's the file
"INSTALL"?

Look in HACKING instead for directions for building from VCS files. INSTALL won't exist, because it is a git symlink to the gnulib submodule, but since you are insisting on a CVS mirror checkout instead, which doesn't understand git symlinks, that explains why it doesn't exist for you.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682