mailman

Re: List setup inquiry

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: List setup inquiry
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:36:54 -0600

Hello Aaron,

> I am working with OpenCPI (opencpi.org), an LGPL licensed OSS
> Project. We would like to have a set of mailing lists (user support,
> announcement, etc) hosted on lists.gnu.org. How do I request that
> such lists be created? https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/create requires
> an authentication password.

The mailing list server lists.gnu.org is described at the
https://lists.gnu.org/ page.  It is a mailing list server for official
GNU Project mailing lists only.  Therefore it would not be appropriate
to use it for the OpenCPI project mailing lists.  Sorry.

The mailing list server lists.nongnu.org is described at the
https://lists.nongnu.org/ page.  lists.nongnu.org serves as the
mailing list server used by various non-GNU projects hosted on
Savannah.

Savannah is the GNU software forge for free software development and
is described on this https://savannah.gnu.org/ page.  The plan is that
people hosting development of projects on Savannah will have a mailing
list server for their Savannah projects.  But since your project
development is not hosted Savannah it would not be appropriate for
your mailing lists either.  Sorry.

Since your project is hosted at opencpi.org it would make the most
sense to host your mailing lists for your project there.  That is the
most normal thing that most users would expect.  You have control of
the domain and servers and would be positioned to administrate your
mailing list from there too.  Seems like you should already be good to
go there.  That is my best recommendation.

Bob