mailman

RE: groff Bounce List?

From: Jeff Conrad
Subject: RE: groff Bounce List?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:47:27 +0000

Bob,

> Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 2:51 PM

> I don't see the "On Behalf Of" anywhere in your example or in any of
> my own subscriptions.  However that string feels familiar and I am sure
> I have seen it before.

A Google search suggests that Outlook (and some other clients) “on
behalf of” whenever the message contains a ‘Sender’ header, and that
this is nothing new.  One article is

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tzink/2017/06/22/what-do-we-mean-when-we-refer-to-the-sender-of-an-email/;

there are several others that say essentially the same thing.

I probably would have paid little attention to this had the “from” not
also contained “groff- address@hidden; clearly, I
have a lot to learn about how mailers work.

And if my post hadn’t disappeared, I probably wouldn’t have noticed any
of this.

Hope this helps if someone else has the same question.

Jeff