mailman

Re: incorrect name on posts

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: incorrect name on posts
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 11:15:57 -0500

Jason Goldberg <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently subscribed to discuss-gnuradio.  When I set up my account, I
> filled out a preferred name.  When I posted, I saw that my full name (which
> I never recall entering) was being used rather than my preferred name.  How
> can I change my settings so that my preferred name will be used?  When I
> log into:
>
> * Discuss-gnuradio mailing list membership configuration for jgoldberg at
> astranis.com <http://astranis.com>, rhz *
>
> I see that my preferred name rhz is there.  It just appears to be ignored
> in favor of my real name when I send a post to the list.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jason Goldberg

Hi Jason,

I'm pretty sure this is a matter of configuration of your email
client. You need to configure your name within it as rhz. Then the email
client will send with a from header of
From: rhz <address@hidden>
The name within the mailman list settings is only visible to list
administrators who look at the membership list, and it used for
automated messages from mailman to you, like password resets, etc, but
not for posts to the list. Also, if you look in the archive of this
list, there was a similar question in which Bob / rwp gave an even more
extensive answer to this same question. Let us know if you have any more
questions.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF