man-db-devel

[Man-db-devel] Database update profiling

From: Francis Giraldeau
Subject: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:18:29 -0500

Hi! I did some tracing on apt-get, and one of the slow step of the
installation of a package on Debian/Ubuntu is the update of man database
with mandb. There is like 200 tasks and threads spawned with pipes, and
it appears that it is adding a lot of overhead. For the detail:

http://multivax.blogspot.ca/2013/12/system-level-profiling-of-apt.html

I would be glad to help to improve the performance of mandb. For
instance, is there any documentation on how to setup a development
environment? I do find it a bit cumbersome to launch gdb on mandb as
root ;-)

Cheers,

Francis