man-db-devel

Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 08:56:56 +0000

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 04:46:43PM -0500, Francis Giraldeau wrote:
> Just for my understanding, the database stores strings? Why not storing
> integers directly?

This predates me and I have no interest in the unnecessary churn of
changing it.

> I'm not a big fan of ifdef inside main code. Maybe we could isolate it
> into it's own header. What is the point to use fchdir() istead of
> chdir()? It doesn't seems to be related to the timestamp feature.

Gnulib already has modules for dirfd and fchdir; those should be used
rather than having portability conditionals in man-db's own code.

> I pushed the code to github:

While I'm considering switching to git soon (I already did so for
libpipeline), for the meantime it is unhelpful to use a different
revision control system.  If you expect me to look at something it
should be in a form I can merge.