maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] Right-to-Left street index + proper rendering of Arabic

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Right-to-Left street index + proper rendering of Arabic, Korean, etc.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:22:09 +0100

Hello,

I started working on RTL support for the street index and proper
rendering of Arabic, Korean and other non-latin alphabets, using Pango.

So far, the result is
http://toulibre.org/~thomas/maposmatic-rtl-street-index.png.

Bassem, is it the correct rendering for Arabic, and is the layout ok
for RTL languages ?

What I've done:

 * Use Pango on top of Cairo to do the font rendering. This magically
   allows to get Korean working and to get nice Arabic characters with
   ligatures. This is of course used for both RTL and non-RTL modes ;

 * In RTL mode, start with the first column on the right ;

 * In RTL mode, put the street name on the right and the street
   location (A1..B2) on the left.

Is this correct ?

If so, I will integrate my test program into OcitySMap and commit this.

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org