maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Need UTF8 encoded language files to proceed with Tr

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Need UTF8 encoded language files to proceed with Translation management at Transifex
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 16:51:40 +0200

Hello Guttorm,

2012/5/6 Guttorm Flatabø <address@hidden>:
> However, trying out the Transifex workflow I bumped into some things that
> I'm hoping you can address:

I think it is better to send separate emails to the list when you have
different issues, it is easier to track them.

> The gettext template file has UTF8 characters outside ASCII encoded as
> escaped octals, f.ex. "\302\251", while the German translation uses "true"
> UTF8 encoding, f.ex. "©". Not only are the octals confusing to translators,
> they also confuse Transifex since the msgid in the template and translation
> aren't the same. From what I've gathered before, the octals aren't necessary
> and could be replaced with proper UTF8 characters. If that is not the case,
> then at least the template and translations need to use only either one of
> them so that msgid's match.

The issue should be at Transiflex import, because in our repositories
the PO files are in 8 bits.

* For ocitysmap:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/ocitysmap.po#n17

  There are strings like "Videregående skole" (line 43).

* For maposmatic:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/tree/www/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/django.po#n18

  There are strings like "Ingen språktilpassing" (line 22).

Could you point me at a specific location where the issue occurs?

Best regards,
david