Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Build 20080130 failure

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Build 20080130 failure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:49:54 -0400

On 3/8/08, Hugh Myers <address@hidden> wrote:
> This build fails out of the box on W2k with a message of "Ran out of
>  guaranteed space!" in the pop up. Any advice would be helpful...
>
>  System info:
>
>  Processor       x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~996 Mhz

I'm not sure what's wrong here; the code generating the error is not
operating-system specific and it's strange that you're seeing it and
no one else is.

One potential clue is the processor you're using: it's one of the
small number of AMD processors that has a cache-coherency bug.  This
hardware bug can cause a number of strange errors in MIT Scheme --
except that we implemented a workaround for the bug some years ago.
Possibly recent changes to our code have introduced a new place for
the bug to have an effect; I'll look for that.

Meanwhile I don't have any answers for you.

Can you tell me if there is a less recent build that works on your
hardware?  That might give me a clue.