[MIT-Scheme-devel] compiler-input/output-pathname issue

From: Paul C. Fisher
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] compiler-input/output-pathname issue
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:41:39 -0400

I'm having a bit of trouble with mit-scheme and scmutils on a Mac OSX PPC
system.

The symptom is that both *compiler-input-pathname* and
*compiler-output-pathname* seem to be unbound which halts the stream the
first time I try to invoke a new function. I'm assuming these should both
point to something like /var/tmp. I can proceed by assigning values at the
interrupt at which point mit-scheme seems to hang on to the values until I
quit. This is an okay work-around but it is a bit annoying. Is there a
run-time option I can set or an environment variable? I've looked around
the docs and experimented but I haven't stumbled across anything.

The specifics of the system are:

MIT/GNU Scheme running under MacOSX

SICM saved on Saturday March 15, 2008 at 8:21:16 PM
  Release 7.7.90.+                  || Microcode 15.1 || Runtime 15.7
  SF 4.41                           || LIAR/C 4.118   || Edwin 3.116

  ScmUtils Mechanics . Fall 2006

OS is 10.4.11 on 1.67 GHz G4 PPC with 2GB RAM. I'm running scheme within
Carbon Emacs using Quack (but the problem also exists if I invoke
mit-scheme at the command line).

The problem also exists if I build mit-scheme using the Portable C sources
with the 20080130 build (generally I've been using the 20070909 PPC
binary).

Any help greatly appreciated.

PcF