[MIT-Scheme-devel] Edwin fails to start

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Edwin fails to start
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 00:03:56 +0200

Hello,
before some time I reported the following Debian bug:

<http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg798405.html>

...but got no reply.

To quote from the report:

  No matter what I do:
  - start MIT Scheme with the --edit option
  - invoke (edit) / (edwin) / (create-editor) in the REPL

  Edwin doesn't start.

  `mit-scheme --edit' produces the exact same outcome as plane
  `mit-scheme' (i.e. starts a REPL)

  Invoking any of the procedures gives this error:
  1 ]=> (create-editor)   ; substitute (edit) or (edwin) here

  ;The primitive xterm-open-window signalled an anonymous error.
  ;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:
  ; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

  2 error>

  What gives?

  Tested in xterm, urxvt and tmux inside urxvt.
  I use Xmonad as the window manager (and haven't had any problems popping
  up windows with other apps, in case that's what starting Edwin is
  supposed to do; I never used MIT Scheme before).

Now I even compiled MIT Scheme from the Git repository, no change.
I also tried it under the Awesome window manager or just with plain
xterm manually launched by xinit. Nothing.

The only similar report I could find is this:

<http://groups.google.co.jp/group/comp.lang.scheme/browse_thread/thread/43538b009a0b1fa1>

Could anyone please help? I'd really love to try out Edwin.

Štěpán