Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Cannot save files in Edwin that are mounted via s

From: Richard Loveland
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Cannot save files in Edwin that are mounted via sshfs
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:00:22 -0500

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:14:25 -0500, Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:

   Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:59:05 -0500
   From: "Richard Loveland" <address@hidden>

I am having trouble saving files mounted via sshfs. When I attempt to do
   so, the following error is thrown by Edwin:

   The port #[output-port 39 for file:
   "/Users/rloveland/Desktop/dev/.bash_profile"] signalled an error:
   The primitive channel-synchronize, while executing the fcntl-fullfsync
   system call, received the error: Input/output error.

I can send `dtruss' output or perform other tests that you require. Pure
   speculation: could it have something to do with the fact that sshfs is
implemented via FUSE, or is a file system permissions/configuration error
   of some kind on my part more likely?

Sounds like a bug in fuse or sshfs: fcntl(fd, F_FULLFSYNC) is failing
with EIO.  Most useful would probably be to find whether it's fuse or
sshfs, e.g. by inserting debugging prints into the sshfs or fuse code
or by dtrussing the sshfs process, and figure out how to fix it there.

I could make the error that Edwin reports non-fatal, but it would make
me nervous for Edwin not to fail noisily when it can't force the
user's file to disk as durably as the operating system supports.

I should have added that when I experienced the above failure and subsequently reloaded the file (.bash_profile) in Edwin, the file was completely blank. I'll retrace my steps with dtruss watching sshfs and see what happens.