Re: Trouble Running Scmutils on OS X

From: Chas Leichner
Subject: Re: Trouble Running Scmutils on OS X
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 17:46:26 -0700

Taylor, thanks for the help! I had install mit-scheme with homebrew and will file an bug with them. After installing x86-64 binary you linked to (and noting that the command-line binary lived at /Applications/MIT:GNU\ Scheme\ 10.1.10.app/Contents/Resources/mit-scheme), the mechanics.com install went smoothly and i was able to use the mechanics code from edwin.

- Chas

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 4:43 PM Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 14:12:13 -0700
> From: Chas Leichner <address@hidden>
>
> Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to ask this question, I asked
> about this on #scheme and they directed me here.
>
> I'm working on reading Functional Differential Geometry and ran into a
> problem installing scmutils. I'm using a mac (Mojave 10.14.5 with MIT
> Scheme 10.1.10) which the scmutils docs say is supported, but get an
> architecture not supported error when I try to run it.
> [...]
> File has: compiled-code interface 3; architecture 14.
> Expected: compiled-code interface 3; architecture 13.

It appears you are using the svm1 version of MIT Scheme (compiled-code
architecture 13), which is based on a byte code interpreter, rather
than the x86-64 version of MIT Scheme that gjs used to create the
mechanics.com band (compiled-code architecture 14), which uses native
x86-64 machine code.  You correctly ascertained that one cannot use
another's bands.

So either you'll need to use the x86-64 version of MIT Scheme, which
is probably what you want anyway; or if for some reason you
particularly want to use svm1, you'll need to build scmutils from
source -- maybe ask gjs how to do that since I don't know offhand.

How did you install MIT Scheme?  From

https://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/

you'll need either the `Unix binary' or `macOS binary' distribution;
the `Portable SVM' one will not work with the band gjs provided.  If
you installed from Homebrew or MacPorts or something, they should be
changed to use the x86-64 version of MIT Scheme; there's no advantage
to the svm1 one.