Re: MIT Scheme 11.1 fails to build because of Werror

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: MIT Scheme 11.1 fails to build because of Werror
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 16:46:47 +0000

> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 13:30:00 +0100
> From: Gabriel Schnoering <gabriel.schnoering@gmail.com>
>
> At first the package doesn't compile with gcc 10.2 (I guess it would be
> similar with previous versions) because of Werror in the microcode/ folder
> and in particular termcap.c. Some of the issues reported are quite
> serious I guess such as casting a 64 bits pointer into a 32 bits int.

Try installing ncurses, termcap, or curses (development headers and
libraries)?

(We should maybe just get rid of the ancient compatibility termcap.c,
and either make termcap/curses mandatory or kick it out of the
microcode into a plugin, so people stop tripping over this.)

> When I skip Werror from the configure.ac/Makefile files it does build
> but fails later building make.com.

To build 11.1 from 10.x, you need to do a cross-build, even if you're
building for x86 on x86:

cd mit-scheme-11.1/src
./configure --enable-cross-compiling --enable-native-code=x86-64
make
make install

(This is because the compiled code ABI changed, so old .com files
can't be run by new Schemes and vice versa.)