Re: Closer to Scheme in ROM

From: Eng. Stewart Jay Milberger
Subject: Re: Closer to Scheme in ROM
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:22:30 +0000

> Please forgive me not remembering to 'reply-all' yesterday, I woke up in the clothes I fell asleep in, for reference.

Omitting the detail that I was in front of a computer, but the point has been made.  I am still in the same clothes, but now freshly washed.

> (4 microseconds)

I thought would be good Knuth response, actually quite kind, as an answer "Do you have a couple of hours to talk about algorithms?"

That made me think how that could be abstracted with a variable ',units in Scmutils, when...Darth Internet...

Dante, speak not to me of Hell; Hugo, speak not to me of Quasimoto; luxury! compared to living and working on the 'net. "Breaky" and "non-performant-y", and "crashy-crashy" are now technical terms for why we keep Scheme around (and of course, the inferior Common Lisp and Dylan).

I don't know who replied to this thread personally (my tacit agreement with the world is "I don't know you, you don't know me" [1]), thank you for your alms to old Quasimoto here.  However, I have been acting in earnst--and realized we have hope for the ideas of Thomas and all Schemers and Lispers coexisting.  Viz S...O...S...the object system in MIT Scheme.

https://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/documentation/stable/mit-scheme-sos.html

I wasn't even going to return here, but I found the C-style cast git commit in the microcode, and remembered, "I don't know why people who enjoy programming in Scheme would ever want to patch code in C."  Mr. Wu [I will sign an affidavit to attest that I don't know him, if requested.] made a fine contribution to the literature about how this could be accomplished, Scheme-86. Compromises, excuses, technical debt pushed to the future..leading to the world we have in general.

If you see me walking around Cambridge with a broom or a rake, it is to protect me from the feral dogs, as well as a protest to lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and Concorde Deux.  "Why not biplanes?", is the working slogan Dylan/Thomas Labs, unincorporated.

-- Stew J.

[1] Conversation with an old friend from Columbia about what to do with his aerospace degree, and the folly of trying to apply it to improved aviation safety in a concrete, rather than abstract way.