Latin Phrases on exit

From: Patrick Heil
Subject: Latin Phrases on exit
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:20:30 -0500

Hello,
My name is Patrick. I'm a college student who worked with the MIT Scheme Interpreter in a Comparative Programming Languages course. I noticed the interpreter would exit with latin phrases such as "Fortitudine vincimus." I wanted to learn more about these phrases and their meaning but couldn't find any reference to them in the user manual or online (only translations of the phrase from other sources).I assume the "Fortitudine vincimus." is a joke about the (alleged) tediousness of the Scheme programming language.

Does anyone know anything about the background for these messages? Were they added in the original MIT Scheme interpreter or added later by the GNU devs?

Thank you,
Patrick Heil