Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Emule ed2k-links

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Emule ed2k-links
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:43:40 +0100

hi Martin,

>> Releasers e.g. could add their static IPs to their links and this would
>> be very good especially for rare files.
>> What do you think about it?
M> I doubt that anyone with a static ip wants it to appear in an ed2k-link!

I think the same. And: What do you think would happen to your
bandwidth if you release a link with your ip stated in it - Every
client clicking on it would try to connect *you* the first time.

Good Luck

>> P.S.: Lugundunummaster seems to have stopped develloping the servers
>> because of being flamed in the emule forums
M> Now *finally* some good news!

I don't see any good news in there. It's a pity that some people still
only see the bad things in this issue.

Lugdunumaster made the edonkey-network MUCH more scalable! The biggest
server some time ago had 3000, perhaps 4000 (!) Client slots
available; and the traffic was IMMENSE (>200GB/Month).
I had for a short time my own dserver with 2000 Clients on a 2Mbit
line maxed out. Yeah, MAXED OUT. 220k/s in and out all the time.
Thanks to EdonkeyBot and mldonkey.

Now, these servers can easily handle above 30000 and even more Clients, with the
SAME CPU SAME MEMORY SIZE and the SAME BANDWIDTH.

Lugdunummaster did a GREAT work using the tolerances of the protocol
to make it more scalable; but I doubt he'll stop developing the
server. He has the sources, and he's skilled. I don't want to see him
stop coding.

And as a resume, clients bitching with servers (10 slots at the same
time (mldonkey), 10 connects at the same time (emule), request
flooding due to scheduled pause/resume of all downloads (edonkeybot),
request flood due to a leecher-client (mldonkey1 AND CVS :-(), tripled
server load due to udp-search flooding (edonkeybot globalsearch)) HAVE
to be stopped. Thats what lugdunumaster did.
Its not the banning of the specific client, its the banning of clients
behaving like this (slimit, smart sources).

I still think Lugdunummaster does a GREAT job to the edonkey
community, and the clients DO have to STAY FAIR.

That's my opinion from the sight of an ex-dserver-admin.

If you don't like him personally, well.. thats your problem.
He's sometimes a little bit arrogant, but HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S
SPEAKING OF. In Contrast to some users, who still think uploading with
10k/s and downloading with 30k/s is SLOW.

-roland

Sum(Downloads) equals Sum(Uploads)
(wise statement, btw. The most users seem to forget this.)

PS: I hope I do not start a flamewar with this.