Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Emule ed2k-links

From: JoLorant
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Emule ed2k-links
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:54:41 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 4. Dezember 2002 20:10 schrieb Alois:

> In my opinion the most interesting new feature is:
>
> * Juanjo: Group of sources can be appended to ed2k links [Thanks
> Linearcity] this is the extended edk url format:
>       ed2k://|file|fname|size| hash|/|address@hidden,
> src1ip:src1port,src2ip:src2port,...|/
>       "@expiration" is optional: e.g. @021126 (YY,MM,DD) - always 6 digits
>     * Merkur: You can create these extended links from all your shared
> files
>
> I think it would be very useful to implement this new link syntax also
> in MLDonkey.
> Releasers e.g. could add their static IPs to their links and this would
> be very good especially for rare files.
> What do you think about it?

That's about the most bescheuerte idea I've heard for a long time. The last
one I remember was Linus T. saying kernel 2.4 would be ready xmas 2000.

If you give people an IP, you could as well use ftp. It scales better.

I'll try to be a bit more friendly.

All efforts in p2p systems head towards the installing of a completely
private, undestroyable "darknet" which resists all kind of attacs (juridical
ones, obsolescence, war in iraq etc) .

Read http://crypto.stanford.edu/DRM2002/darknet5.doc (note that it's from
Microsoft guys, e.g. Paul Biddle, "father" of M$'s Palladium DRM system).
German-speaking people may as well read an shorter article about it:
http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/special/copy/13662/1.html .

Attaching an IP to links to shared files would definitely take a lot of this
independence, and by the way as already mentioned by Roland Arendes - that IP
must pertain to a veeery thick machine with a great lots of bandwidth.
I'd love to administrate that box when ten-thousands of people request that
m*vie that will start in december ;-)

> P.S.: Lugundunummaster seems to have stopped develloping the servers
> because of being flamed in the emule forums
> http://www.emule-project.net/en/viewtopic.php?t=12771&postdays=0&postorder=
>asc&start=45 and of the lack of cooperation by the emule coders...

Fine with me. Perhaps he understood why people like open source code now. We
should convince him to contribute to mldonkey :-)

JoLo