Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey freezes my system

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey freezes my system
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:27:24 +0100

>    just wanted to report that my mldonkey pango patched (20021204a)
>    freezes (no ping, nothing) my linux box (debian woody stable).
>    Can't find anyhing in /var/log/messages, sorry!
>    Because my mldonkey log to sdtout and I dont't save that
>    log I can't tell you the last core output. I'll change that from
>    now on.
>    Just wanted to report!

Well, in the linux world, normal applications (not root ones) should
not be able to freeze the whole system. Such problems find their cause
in the kernel, and most of the time (from my trust in the kernel
code), it is a hardware problem more than a software problem.
mldonkey does a lot of disk accesses, and sometimes (often ?) uses a
lot of memory. This can stress your hardware and reveal some hardware
problems. Don't buy a new disk or new memory just for that, I just
want to say that this problem is probably not related to pango's
patch.

- MLDonkey