Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey freezes my system

From: Michael Onnen
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey freezes my system
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:02:35 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 at 13:27 +0100, MLdonkey wrote:

> Well, in the linux world, normal applications (not root ones) should
> not be able to freeze the whole system. Such problems find their cause
> in the kernel, and most of the time (from my trust in the kernel
> code), it is a hardware problem more than a software problem.
> mldonkey does a lot of disk accesses, and sometimes (often ?) uses a
> lot of memory. This can stress your hardware and reveal some hardware
> problems. Don't buy a new disk or new memory just for that, I just
> want to say that this problem is probably not related to pango's
> patch.

Can confirm that.
In the last 6 Months, no version of mldonkey (release, cvs, or pango) has ever
crashed, let alone locked up the system on my woody box. And I also never had
the problem of excessive memory usage...
ocaml and LablGTK compiled from the tarballs and installed to /usr/local (not
using official .debs).

Michael