[Mldonkey-users] Credits system and rare files

From: Alois
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Credits system and rare files
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:45:12 +0100

Hi,
I've got an idea how the uploads of rare files could be faster in spite of the credits system: The reason why a credit system "kills" transfers of rare files is, that normally, as a source, you have already downloaded the whole file you are spreading. So no one of the people who try to get an upload slot won't have any credits, because they can't give anything to you. So the upload of already downloaded files should be excluded from the credit system. That would cause other problems (for example you don't need the credits you get in their upload slot, because normally you don't need anything of them and you get less credits from clients that you're downloading from because you are uploading less to them), but I think the positive effect on spreading rare files would be very good. You can still give extra priority to clients you have already downloaded from, especially to ones who use the official client. Emule people shouldn't get too many credits because it seems that they can still get enough upload slots even without credits. Here's an extract of my client_stats after running about one hour: