[Mldonkey-users] Re: wrong md4 digest

From: Robin Hill
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: wrong md4 digest
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 14:34:18 +0000

On Sun Dec 08, 2002 at 11:31:57AM -0200, unixach <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was playing with openssl dgst -md4 to create a script which echoes a
> ed2k:// link to the screen. It seemed to work (I compared the MD4 generated
> by openssl with the one generated by ed2k_hash). But only for some files. For
> "big" files, the MD4 differs.

Yes, edonkey hashes aren't straight MD4 hashes.  What it does is split
the file into 9M chunks and calculate an MD4 hash for each chunk.  These
hashes are put, consecutively, into a buffer and an MD4 hash is created
for this buffer.  This final hash is the one used by edonkey.  This
means that for small files (under 9M) a straight MD4 will get you the
same result but for > 9M files it won't.

I assume the reason for doing it this way is that edonkey works using
these 9M chunks for verification, etc (if you look in the
shared_files.ini for mldonkey you'll see the MD4 hashes for each chunk)
so it has to calculate the hashes for each block as it downloads.  It's
a lot quicker then to generate an overall hash from these rather than
having to go through the entire file again.

HTH,
        Robin

--
     ___