Re: [Mldonkey-users] pango 20021212a patch available based on 2.01

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] pango 20021212a patch available based on 2.01
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:05:12 +0100

Le Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:36:59 -0500, crazee_canuck <address@hidden>
a écrit :

> RA>    "bolder remove old sources": CVS version is still broken,
> RA> the old version doesn't seem to please the CVS
> RA> maintainer (because it *can* remove sources ?), wrote
>
> Ouch :)

Sorry for being sarcastic sometimes :)

The current CVS version *can* remove sources (even if it's even a bit more
broken that the previous version), it's just that I find amusing that
mldonkey only drops sources very reluctantly (min_left_sources has priority
over max_sources_age, algorithm that tries both to keep a fixed number of
sources while only dropping sources more than 45 minutes old...) The only
place where sources can be dropped mercilessly is in new_source, it seems
everyone forgot that new_source uses some kind of LRU when
max_sources_per_file limit is reached.

BTW, remove_old_clients is also broken in pango20021212a, because I removed
almost all the code (that's never used in the common case), but it was
useful in exceptional cases, for example if the user lowers the value of
max_sources_per_file. I'll revert some changes in next release.

Something must be done to improve the sources list management. In fact, I
think that's why our download speed is bad with eMule sources, most notably
for popular files. mldonkey algorithms are adapted for eDonkey sources, that
have a small upload queue. Either those sources quickly send data, or they
can be considered currently busy, and the best thing to do is to look
elsewhere for data. With eMule "infinite upload queue", one should not
expect to start downloading quickly. If you're too impatient, and switch
sources all the time, you'll never download anything. I think it's what
happens to mldonkey when sources >> max_sources_per_file.