[Mldonkey-users] Re: "uploaders" command + non existant files.

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: "uploaders" command + non existant files.
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:38:37 +0100

"Mike Jones" <address@hidden> wrote:

> An example of the phenomenon I don't think should be happening:  (I
> use web interface)

> I use mldonkey to download "BigFile.zip" It downloads, I "commit".  I
> move it out of the mldonkey incoming directory across the network
> because I am out of space.  It should no longer be shared.  I
> "reshare".  In the "upstats" command "BigFile.zip" is NOT there.
>
> In the "uploaders" command two people are downloading "BigFile.zip".
> The "uploaded" bytes are still increasing -- they are still getting
> this file!
>
> I moved the file 8 hours ago, and "reshared" many times.  How is this
> possible?

This is a conecpt of Unix. If you open a filedescriptor (FD), the bytes
stay on the disc, even if you rm the file. Only after the program having
the FD open dies or closes the FD, the bytes are freed.

Use the close_fds command:

,----
| close_fds : close all files (use to free space on disk after remove)
`----

You can check this, if you move into /proc/$pidofmldonkey/fd and ls. You
then can see als FDs mldonkey has open and you will still see your file
being associated with a FD, but marked with "(deleted)", which means the
directory entry is no longer there, but the bytes are, because of the
still open FD.

S°

--
Letzte Worte eines Pastors: Gott wird uns schon beistehen.