[Mldonkey-users] Re: Errors while make'ing mldonkey

From: Robin Hill
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Errors while make'ing mldonkey
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:16:15 +0000

On Sun Dec 22, 2002 at 03:00:15PM +0100, Andreas Neiser <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first of all, sorry for my english, i'm german ;)
> I have problem with compiling mldonkey from the sources.
> i extracted the tar.gz file,
> then i did a cvs checkout and a update,

Why both?  Either use the tar.gz or use the cvs.

> then i executed ./configure -enable-batch (which took quite a lot of time,
> but that doesnt matter ;)
> after that i typed make depend and then make.
> but make exits with the following error message (also when i execute make
> again):
> /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot open output file mldonkey: Is a
> directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> Error during linking
> make: *** [mldonkey] Error 2
>
> hm, i think it is a problem with ld, it says that mldonkey is a directory.
> ok, that's right, but how could i solve this problem?

Sound to me like you downloaded the cvs from within the base of the
extracted tar.gz.  There shouldn't be a mldonkey directory wiuthin the
source (the cvs checkout will create one to put it's files into though).

> any help would be appreciated!

My advice would be to delete the entire thing and start again.  Just do
the cvs checkout (ignore the .tar.gz file and there's no need to do a
cvs update immediately after the checkout) then configure and make.  The
first configure will take a very long time as it needs to compile the
ocaml and lablgtk stuff.  In future you will just need to do a cvs
update, configure and make (the configure here will be very quick as
you've already got the ocaml and lablgtk compiled).

HTH,
        Robin

--
     ___