[Mldonkey-users] latest CVS's server-hop like crazy

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] latest CVS's server-hop like crazy
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:57:06 -0500

Anyone else notice that 2.01+ seems to never be content with its servers? I've seen this in 2.01-3, and again with the version I just pulled a few minutes ago and compiled.

I've found it almost completely ignoring my "max connected servers" limit of 3- it's connected to three right now, and hunting for a fourth. As I type, it just found a 4th, and is now searching for a -fifth-. What gives?

It looks like it's scanning the entire server list trying to find the top 3 servers...and doing so incessantly. If that's the case, then that is pretty stupid, since it means mldonkey clients will all gradually converge on a very small set of servers, theoretically ending up on one server...that is entirely NOT the point, and if we all go back to edonkey-protocol-101, we learn that the particular server you are connected to has little to do with how many sources you find etc.

This 'feature' seems like a fantastic way to get mldonkey banned by servers again...just what the network needs, a client that seeks out the busiest servers...

WTF, I'm connected to SEVEN servers now...

Brett