Re: [Mldonkey-users] rare files

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] rare files
Date: 08 Jan 2003 22:05:11 +0100

Christian Loitsch <address@hidden> writes:

> i followed the last threads and wondered if mldonkey could not introduce
> the following system.
>
> I have a few files which are at 95% and only get a few kbytes every day.
> (Availability is, at least sometimes, at 100%) If somebody would give me
> just this few megabytes, I would be more than happy to give him my
> complete bandwith for, let's say 10 times the amount of data he gave me.

A trade option should be available:

A connects to B:

A -> B: Do you have FOO?
B -> A: I have FOO chunks 011.
B -> A: Do you have BAR?
A -> B: I have BAR chunks 101.
A -> B: I want FOO chunk 2.
B -> A: You are queued.
B -> A: I want BAR chunk 1.
A -> B: Lets trade.
B -> A: Ok.

A -> B: 1K data
B -> A: 1K data
A -> B: 1K data
B -> A: 1K data

Clients that want to trade should get a slot before any non trading
client.

Trading should not be forced to equal speeds but the speed should be
watched. Otherwise everyone would say trade, send a few K data and
then stop sending.

Even more complex could be a extension that specifies a up/down
ratio.

... as above
B -> A: You are queued.
B -> A: I want BAR chunk 1.
A -> B: Lets trade. I give you 1K BAR for each 10K FOO.
B -> A: OK.

> It might be even possible that we tell every peer (even if it does not
> have that file) what we would need most urgent.  It could then try to
> get this file for us, and forward it, knowing that the reward is high.
> In an extension the third client might even send this file directly to
> us (or more correctly, give us a slot).

I think that would lead to chaos. A lot of clients would try to grab
the chunk and never get it 100% (so they can send it on) and there
won't be any slots left for you to get it yourself.

Only time that would work is if the sharing client is online at times
you are not and you would need an intermittend place that online both
times. Do you run mldonkey only parttime?

> Obviously there must be some protection against peers which pretend,
> that they have our file and don't send it.
>

> And btw I really would like to have a possibility to give eg. overnet
> more than the others (after all I leeched quite some time).
>
> I also noticed that overnet doesn't get anything from me (unless I also
> download from an overnet-peer).  My mldonkey version is 2.02.
>
> I remember that overnet upload already worked (I think it was 2.01), but
> even a downgrade did not (re)work.

MfG
        Goswin