Re: [Mldonkey-users] anonymity? should we be scared?

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] anonymity? should we be scared?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:45:47 +0100

>  I think they can IF they have already some evidence! But getting that
>  should be a problem because of german privacy laws.
>  In germany noone (not even you isp) is allowed to analyze you internet
>  connection and/or communication data. They can only do it if they
>  alerady have the proof that something illegal is going on.
>
>  Please correct me if im wrong

I thought there was a new european law (anti-terrorist law after
september 11), that forces ISP to keep all the information they can
(such as IP --> user information). This law has not yet been
translated into a national law in many european countries, but in
France, ISPs asked to be allowed to use this information for
commercial uses, in exchange of the additionnal cost of the storage
needed to keep this information. This is a bit frightening, for our
privacy.

That's the story I heard of, but I'm not a lawyer, so I can be wrong
too.

- MLDonkey